It is currently Fri Sep 21, 2018 6:30 am

All times are UTC

Post subject: Tricobalt Devices...
PostPosted: Fri Feb 17, 2012 11:35 am 
Forum Commander

...I thought I would point out a common misconception concerning tricobalt devices.

Following testing, I can confirm that tricobalt devices ARE affected by spread abilities nowadays (while in the past they were not). It does not seem to be documented in any of the patch notes, and I have observed the widely held belief on the STO forums that spread is a worthless Boff abliity regarding Tricos. This is not the case, although other torpedo types seem to benefit more.

I have recently updated the STOwiki.org page concerning tricobalt torpedo launchers and the Boff ability Torpedo: Spread.

Here is a quote of the significant part I edited concerning Spread:

Quote:
Rank 1 (or I) of the ability causes a maximum of two total torpedoes to be launched at a maximum of two targets (1 torpedo per target, not counting any other torpedo modifying procs or abilities). Rank 2 (or II) of this ability causes a maximum of three torpedoes to be launched at a maximum of three targets (1 torpedo per target, not counting any other torpedo modifying procs or abilities), and rank 3 (or III) of this ability causes a maximum of four torpedoes to be launched at a maximum of four targets (1 torpedo per target, not counting any other torpedo modifying procs or abilities). The torpedoes released by the spread abilities are slightly weaker with (assumed, but unconfirmed) slightly weaker AoE, however, the additional projectiles more than make up for this, assuming all reach their targets and detonate. This can be particularly devastating on large packs of tightly grouped ships due to the AoE effect of tricobalt devices. Unlike other torpedo types, the spread ability does not cause multiple torpedoes to be fired at a single target (if only one target is in the firing arc). At a single target, a single (assumed, unconfirmed; reduced damage/AoE) torpedo is always fired. This may or may not be intended behaviour on the part of the game designers, as it causes the spread ability to literally be wasted on a single target, doing less damage than a normal torpedo.

Also, note that this is commensurate with the description in the tooltip in game which can be viewed in detail only from your 'spellbook' (the ability list viewed when one presses the 'P' key).

Page link: http://www.stowiki.org/Tricobalt_Torpedo_Launcher